Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Friday said the historic summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un may be "back on" and that diplomats are "still at work."
"We have got some, possibly some good news on the Korea summit, where it may, if our diplomats can pull it off, may have it back on even," Mattis told reporters, according to a pool report. "Our president just sent out a note about that a few moments ago…That is a usual give and take, you know, of trying to put together big summits and stuff."
He added, "The diplomats are still at work on the summit, possibility of a summit, so that is very good news."
Trump on Thursday sent a letter to Kim canceling the summit – scheduled for June 12 in Singapore – in which he cited North Korea’s "tremendous anger and open hostility."
But he left the door open to restarting talks and on Friday he suggested that a summit could still occur on the originally planned date, after North Korea issued a statement earlier on Friday expressing a willingness to reenter discussions “at any time, at any format."
"It could even be the twelfth," Trump said.
"We’re going to see what happens. We’re talking to them now," Trump said when asked by reporters outside the White House if the meeting with Kim is still on. "It was a very nice statement they put out. We’ll see what happens."
The original story can be found here.
Be First to Comment